Based in Boston, Allied Minds plc (LSE: ALM) is an IP commercialisation company focused on early stage development within the technology sector. Historically concentrated on creating companies around disruptive technologies in large and growing markets sourced through its expansive network of US federal laboratories, universities and leading US corporations, Allied Minds now manages and funds a portfolio of companies to generate long-term value for its investors and stakeholders.
We currently manage six active portfolio companies as follows:
- BridgeComm: Building an optical wireless communications (OWC) big data delivery service that will enable communications between satellites, aircraft and the ground at speeds of 100+ gigabits per second. The driving value propositions for this technology include high OWC data speeds which are not achievable with Radio Frequency (RF) technology, near unlimited OWC capacity compared to scarce RF resources which drive RF spectrum prices, and the enhanced security of OWC that does not exist in RF. Optical wireless communications holds tremendous potential to augment RF, fiber and mmWave technologies and extend the capabilities of the terrestrial fiber grid-particularly in hard-to-access environments and in areas where cell towers do not currently exist.
- Federated Wireless: Leader in developing shared spectrum CBRS capabilities, taking a lead role in the formation of the CBRS Alliance, being the first to complete a wide range of trials with its Spectrum Controller, and deploying the industry’s first nationwide ESC network. The company’s partner ecosystem includes more than 40 device manufacturers and edge partners, all of which are dedicated to collaboration to advance development and proliferation of CBRS services. Federated Wireless’ customer base includes companies spanning the telecommunications, energy, hospitality, education, retail, office space, municipal and residential verticals, with use cases ranging from network densification and mobile offload to Private LTE and Industrial IoT.
- Orbital Sidekick: Developing capabilities in aerial and space-based hyperspectral imaging and analytics, initially for the oil and gas industry. Orbital Sidekick’s Spectral Intelligence™ platform is designed to enable more efficient monitoring of natural resource assets and infrastructure integrity. The market for monitoring and surveillance of oil and gas assets is estimated at over $4 billion annually. There are potentially multiple additional commercial and government applications for its technology.
- OcuTerra Therapeutics: Drug development company focused on creating best-in-class compounds, initially targeting the field of ophthalmology. SciFluor’s lead clinical asset, SF0166, is a topical eye droplet treatment for Age-related Macular Degeneration (AMD) and Diabetic Macular Edema (DME), both widely prevalent retinal diseases that lead to blindness if left untreated.
- Spark Insights: Analytics company developing a broad range of solutions for the insurance industry, including risk assessment, underwriting, and claims automation, using big data, advanced modeling, machine learning and artificial intelligence.
- TableUp: A software provider enabling end-to-end transparency through the restaurant supply chain to enable more effective inventory and operations management. TableUp is a revenue-generating company and has partnerships with several POS providers in the U.S.
A member of the ALM Board sits on or leads the boards of all ALM material investments to assess business progress and ensure timely decisions based on up-to-date information
This approach has ensured we have made the right decisions for Allied Minds shareholders, even if some have been difficult such as taking the decision at Spin Memory to sell its assets and liquidate.
We remain very excited about the prospects for Federated Wireless and look forward to updating the market on its continued progress in due course.
The balance of the portfolio companies remain at a relatively early stage in their lifecycle as denoted by the Series (A-B) of their recent respective fundraises.
Across the portfolio as a whole the Board are increasingly confident of delivering venture capital-like returns upon exit if the portfolio companies continue to meet their planned technical and commercial goals as set out at the time of its Strategic Update in January 2021.
For detailed updates on each of the portfolio companies, please see the full release at the following link: http://alm.ir-data.com/article/id/433